Tuesday, March 18, 2014

An (more) American Identity

          In the Namesake, we see Gogol constantly struggling with the differences of American and Indian culture. It is quite evident that he and his sister are not really connected to his roots in Calcutta, shown by their discomfort and uneasiness on their eight month visit to India. I mean, for a ton of kids, this an understandably excruciating amount of time for a teenager to be stuck in a country where he feels like he doesn't belong.
          But Gogol does belong there; he should feel like he does at least. But he's really taken on an American identity that simply can't be replaced. I mean, he and sister just wanted "...hamburgers or a slice of pepperoni pizza or a cold glass of milk" (84). Admittedly, I can relate. When I visited the Philippines while I was in 5th grade for 2 weeks, it was an incredible adventure with amazing, hand-cooked food made by relatives my family visited around the archipelago. The deserts my Filipino relatives are amazing. But hell, did I want a pizza and some oreos while we were visiting. Actually, the first thing we did when we got back to California was go to In N Out at 1 in the morning. Probably the best burger I've ever had.
           Anyways, it is clear Gogol does not feel as connected to his Indian roots, and he learns to really hate his name. I'd be kind of embarrassed if my name was Gogol too... It's honestly an ugly name in my opinion. This part of Gogol's thought struck me most, when he finds out who he is named after:
           "Gogol isn't his first name. His first name is Nikolai. Not only does Gogol Ganguli have a pet name turned good name, but a last name turned first name. And so it occurs to him that no one he knows in the world, in Russia or India or America or anywhere, shares his name. Not even the source of his namesake" (78).
            Ouch...I can see why he changed his name to Nikhil later on. See, that name is unique, but it sounds cool. It has a nice ring to it. Gogol sounds like some crappy yogurt you would buy at a liquor store.

            I think Nikhil fits him more. Gogol really is American, so he should embrace his identity with a name that would survive in the cruelty that is American culture. If he wants to change it, then so be it. That's the beauty of American freedom, I guess.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Nick amazing post! I totally agree with what you have to say about Gogol.... sorry i mean Nikhil about changing his name. I also believe Nikhil does suit him better than Gogol does. Gogol sounds like a little rubber baby toy, not a man's name. It was the perfect time to change his name, before he went to college so he can start with a new identity. Nikhil brings him confidence and he doesn't have to worry about it being considered a pet name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nick very interesting blog post. One of the main things that I enjoyed about your post was your personal story of the time you traveled to your country of the philippines. It was just such a great connection to the way Gogol/ Nikhil did not feel belonged to the country he lived in. I loved the line you wrote when you described Gogols name as a crappy yogurt that you would buy at a liquor store. In addition, I agree that the name Nikhil fits him more and he should change it if he wants to. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete