Sunday, January 12, 2014

Diana Nyad: Never, ever give up

I had the pleasure of watching Diana Nyad's TED talk, where she described her epic swim from the shores of Cuba to Florida. After previous failures and almost being killed by the dangers of the ocean, she accomplished her dream of swimming from Cuba to Florida. And she did it for herself, not for the ego or for the pride, but for the sake for her own, inspiring dream.

The part that really hit home for me what when Nyad said: "It wasn't so much about the athletic accomplishment; it wasn't the sort of ego of 'I want to be the first.' That's always there, and it's undeniable. But it was deeper, it was how much life is there left. let's face it, we're all on a one way street, aren't we?" She really emphasized the journey versus the destination; what are we going to do as we drive down that street before we hit the dead end? And I felt inspired by these words; it's 9 o'clock at night and I really want to just hop on my longboard and bomb down the hills of Laguna Beach, perfect my tricks, and go fast for the experience. Downhill longboarding seems like the perfect way to emphasize the journey, rather than the destination. I don't normally skate down a hill to reach the bottom, I do it for the exhilarating feeling of going up to 30 mph on a piece of wood and some wheels.

It's the journey we remember, not where we end up.

The second thing that Nyad really credited towards her accomplishment was her team. She believed her team was expert, and without them, she could not have possibly accomplished her dream. Where would I be without my own sort of 'team,' or my friends in this case? They're the ones that push me forward, provide me with the competition and will to improve in the social and athletic gauntlets of being a teenager.

And finally, the main point of the video: Never, ever give up. We hear it at every sappy, motivational speech, but we never really take it to heart. But sometimes you just have to fight your inner demons telling you to stop and push to the end.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Nick!
    I really liked how you explained how this ted talk changed your view on life and motivates you to follow your passion. When I heard about Diana Nyad's feat, it made me want to get more competitive at everything I do for the same egotistical reason as her. What you said about the journey being more important than the destination also stood out to me,because I completely agree that the memories made en route are what sticks in your memory in the long run. So thanks Nick, for giving me a more positive outlook on today

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, happy birthday buddy!
    I also thought that Diana's story was pretty exceptional. I cannot believe the dedication that it must have taken to try to swim that distance four times and failed and still give it another shot. I had seen a lot of media coverage about this woman, but it was very different to have the story come out of her mouth. I totally agree that the journey matters more than the destination. When I longboard (the cool kind, in the water) it is all about the perfect line and how long you can hold it, and the things that you can do on that wave that you can be proud of, not pulling out the back side at the end. Watching her video provided me with some much needed inspiration for the week ahead.

    ReplyDelete